—Neale Donald Walsch
The self-help industry rakes in over 10 billion dollars a year.
Needless to say, it’s a pretty big deal. And since you are here—I am guessing it’s an interest of yours as well.
Maybe you can relate to wanting to be happier and more spiritually connected. Maybe you simply want to learn how to procrastinate less, or be healthier. Maybe you want to learn about manifesting.
Whatever the reason is for you—it’s a good thing!! I am happy that you want to live the best life you can live and be the best version of you that you can be.
And as with anything in life—there are the good and not so good things that go along with the self-help world.
Some of the biggest issues with the help world are—
- People use it as a crutch and don’t actually make the changes they read or learn about. They just get lost on the self-help treadmill and don’t reach their goals or intentions.
- People give up when it gets hard and therefore assume it doesn’t work—blaming the content and the messenger, rather than taking personal accountability.
- There are online gurus, teachers and coaches that really aren’t out for their customers best interests. In other words, there are quacks and charlatans in the self-help world—ABSOLUTELY.
- People become enamored with self-help gurus, and give their power away, rather than using what they learn to cultivate and grow their own power and knowing. After all—it is called “self-help” not “guru-help.” In the end, you have to CHOOSE to use the information you are taking in, to actually create the desired changes or shifts in your life.
- There is bad information in the self-help world or information that may not be best suited for your specific personality or needs. It’s wise to be discerning about exactly what it is you want and choose your sources with that in mind.
This message comes across as almost shaming to people that work a 9 to 5 job, or that aren’t willing to sell all their possessions, travel the world and give everything to their dreams. It’s this idea that we are copping out on our true souls calling by not putting it ALL on the line and going for it.
And I call b.s.
As Elizabeth Gilbert states—
“For the first ten years of my creative journey, I did not make a single dime out of writing. And for the next ten years of my creative journey (which included the publication of three books) I always kept alternative day jobs — always made sure I had other streams of income to rely upon. I did not quit all my other jobs until EAT PRAY LOVE became a crazy bestseller, you guys. And EAT PRAY LOVE was a freak of nature.
The reason I always maintained other streams of income was because I never wanted to burden my creativity with the task of providing for me in the material world.”
(If you don’t know who Elizabeth Gilbert is, heres a link to her FB page and the full post)
It’s ok to keep the day job while your building your health coaching business on the side.
It’s ok to work odd jobs here and there while your writing your book—so you can pay the bills (oh, and eat ; ) It’s ok to work at a job that you may not necessarily LOVE, but that gives you a certain degree of security, so that you can really pour your SOUL into that passion of yours.
A passion can quickly turn to a burden if we are losing sleep about how our passion will pay our bills. A passion can quickly turn to a bummer if it’s the only way to pay rent.
There’s no shame in pursuing your dreams and passions part time.
There’s no shame in loving your 9 to 5 and choosing security with a little sacrifice.
And it’s also ok to quit the job you don’t love—and go for it. It’s ok to dream even bigger dreams, challenge yourself and push yourself out of your comfort zone in order to realize your dreams.
You get to choose what’s a better fit for you—that’s the beauty (and sometimes, the burden) of living an aware, energetically rich life. Your ability to choose how you want to spend your time—is a gift and ultimately, the very thing that helps you create a life you truly love.
Much love and happy Monday!
What will you choose to create, feel, do, focus on this week? Just the small act of being more aware of what you are choosing, is huge step in living a life that lights you up.
Just because we “get” something intellectually doesn’t mean we truly believe it or think it’s possible for us.
And even if we get it intellectually, AND believe it—sometimes we forget to practice it or implement into our lives.
Can you relate?
I was reminded of this very glaringly this weekend when I returned from a life changing trip to San Diego.
This trip was a reunion with some very powerful women. Women who are movers and shakers in their careers, families, communities and spiritual lives.
We laughed, cried, journaled, set powerful intentions and generally fit about 2 years of deep personal work in 4 days.
In a nutshell—we moved some mountains.
But I didn’t realize how truly transformational it was until I got home and started seeing the power of intention already working miracles in my life.
And not just my life—but those closest to me as well.
I won’t get into the nitty- gritty of the miracles that unfolded, but suffice to say that it was a massive, miraculous shift : )
The powerful intentions I set while in San Diego had already begun shifting things in a matter of days.
So what the heck is an intention and how can you get moving on it so YOU can move a few mountains yourself (or at the very least create change)?
A standard, text book definition of an intention is this—
- A thing intended; an aim or plan.
But a more fitting definition from a manifesting perspective would be—
- An intention is a desire, dream or goal that you passionately envision creating in your life. It’s something that you may not physically see evidence of right now, but through creating a detailed vision about what you want—you create an energy which open doors to making it real. It’s the process of turning a dream into reality.
For example—it’s creating a “day-dream” or written statment about what your soul mate is like—right down to every last detail. What color is his hair? What clothes is he wearing when you first meet him? Color of his eyes? The tone of his voice. The way you feel when he looks at you.
It can be a written story or internal vision you create about all the wealth you have—even though your checking account says otherwise.
It’s confidence in knowing what you want is on it’s way—even though you may not see evidence of it.
But how do you get yourself to feel something or envision something so clearly when it feels forced, faked or fabricated?
Here are a few things that you can implement right away that can help you with this—
- First off—change the perspective on it being fake, forced or fabricated. Have fun with it and approach it with a youthful, curious mindset. Do young kids feel bad about daydreaming? Be a kid about it. Dream away.
- See it as a gift—you have creative control in your life and can have a HUGE impact on what happens by choosing to focus on what you want, rather than seeing what you don’t want (advanced manifesting topic which I will cover in an upcoming mini course)
- Place the focus on what it feels like to ALREADY HAVE that thing in your life. Stay with that feeling.
Intentionsetting also has an element of letting go which is critical to getting the results you want.
Many people are actually better at this than they think, but they have unconscious, self sabotaging energy and beliefs that chase away the dream that showed up for them (more on this in the next broadcast : )
Intention setting—when done right—is another powerful tool in your arsenal for living a good life.
And who doesn’t want to have a life where you actually get to live your dreams, rather than just dreaming them?
It’s even better than moving mountains.
Your turn now. What’s your relationship with intention setting? Is it something you’re doing? A little, a lot, not at all? I’d love to know.
The idea is—that when you line up you energy with what you desire in life and make a conscious effort to consistently keep your energy aligned with those things—they will appear in your life (manifest).
If you haven’t noticed already, the “choice” thing is something I cover quite a bit.
It’s not just because I wrote a book about it. And It’s not just because I like talking about the same thing over and over again.
I talk, coach and teach about the power of choice—because it’s the #1 thing that can transform your life with the least amount of effort, struggle or frustration.
Once you learn what exactly to do with the power of choice—manifesting what you want gets a whole lot easier and more enjoyable.
And the super quickie manifesting 101 lesson is this—manifesting is nothing more than matching your energy (thoughts and feelings) to what you want.
It’s having healthy feelings about money, wealth and prosperity—if you want more prosperity.
It’s about having good feelings and thoughts about your body—if you want a healthy body.
Getting what you want (manifesting) is nothing more than CHOOSING WHAT TO THINK AND FEEL and holding that consistently and truthfully.
Let me ask you a couple questions . . .
When was the last time someone forced you to feel a certain way?
When was the last time someone forced you to think a certain thought?
The answer is never!
We may think someone makes us feel and think a certain way—but the 100% truth (and yes, sometimes the truth hurts a little) is that WE are the ones responsible for what we think and how we feel.
And what we think and feel are choices—that are either moving us closer to more travel, a rockin’ healthy body and our soulmate finding us. Or not.
So this awareness will either make you 1. Giddy, excited, thrilled to know you have a certain degree of control (although I don’t like that word) over certain things in your life or 2. Freaked out to know that you have a certain degree of control over how things go in your life.
When this idea truly sinks in for people and when they truly grasp how much power they have when they become accountable to what they think and how they feel—this is when things get fun.
It’s when doors open, magic happens and lives are transformed.
And thats not to say there won’t be ANY uncomfortableness along your path to creating your dreams, desires and goals. But the whole “no pain, no gain” thing—is not required when you want to shift something in your life.
Sometimes when we are learning to THINK AND FEEL differently about money, health, work (any topic really) —we need to put a bit more effort into replacing beliefs and feelings that DON’T SERVE WHAT WE WANT and replace them with thoughts and feelings that do.
Simple? YES. Easy? Not always.
But what I tell my clients who are really determined and ready for a big change is this—
- you won’t get there unless you’re clear about what you want
- you won’t get there if you’re wishy-washy with your energy
- you won’t get there by focusing on what you DON’T want (the key to manifesting is to put the primary focus on what’s wanted, not what’s missing)
- you definitely won’t get there by staying stuck in your old story about your life, your problems and your “lack of” (whether is be money, love, health, happiness) In other words, it may be 100% true, real and painful for you to recall and talk about your past and how it impacts your ability to be positive—but that is a story that you are choosing to repeat. The question is . . . how is it serving you in getting what you want in life?
If you simply remember and practice these key points—you’ll have the ability to change almost anything you want.
You can attract more peace with your energy.
You can attract more love with your energy.
You can attract more health, wealth and happiness with your energy.
And yep . . . it’s absolutely your choice.