The topic of manifesting has been around for a LONG time.
Before authors like Esther Hicks and Wayne Dyer brought the concepts of law of attraction mainstream—these ideas could be found sprinkled throughout the Bible, in Buddhist beliefs and in Ancient Egyptian writings.
It’s a topic that has been written and talked about by some of the greatest and most powerful minds of all time—and for good reason.
The idea is—that when you line up you energy with what you desire in life and make a conscious effort to consistently keep your energy aligned with those things—they will appear in your life (manifest).
But have you ever asked for something from the universe and it hasn’t magically show up for you?
Have you read many of these great books, felt pretty certain you’re doing what you’re supposed to—and things haven’t shown up for you?
Law of Attraction (LOA) and manifesting are brilliant tools to help us create a life we love—when they work. But there are several flaws or misconceptions that trip people up when trying to understand and apply manifesting principles.
Here are 5 of those misconceptions—
1. It’s simple or easy. When people hear “Ask and it is given”—they think that all they need to do is ask and it is given. While this is possible, it’s not the norm (otherwise everyone would win the lottery : ) It’s not just about asking. It’s aboutlining up your energy with what you want—and that isn’t always simple or easy. If you have a lifetime of negative energy about a topic (say creating wealth)—it may take more than just asking to change those ingrained beliefs. We have to combine a shift in our feelings and beliefs about what we desire with the asking.
2. It’s too complicated and requires too much work. Yes, it can be seen as both oversimplified AND overcomplicated. Most people like the idea of “Ask and it’s given”—because it’s simple. Asking is easy, right? But the truth is—it can get complicated and a little messy when we are trying to rewrite years of messed up programming in our brains. Just as we can get tripped about it being too easy (and give up when it’s not) we can get tripped up on it being too much work. The point is—being aware to not let either excuse hold you back.
3. Focus on the future, not the present. The key to being successful at manifesting is to learn to keep your primary focus on the NOW. This trips people up because it seems like the very essence of manifesting is to create something that isn’t here yet—which sort of automatically puts us in the future. But it isn’t about feeling better once we get what we want. It’s about placing the focus on the NOW and feeling good NOW. This is what helps us get in the miracle zone with manifesting.
4. Thinking it’s about the end result. We almost always associate manifesting with an end result—I will be happier once I get x,y or z. It’s hard not to because that’s sort of why we are doing in in the first place, right? We are working on changing our energy, so we can get something we don’t have . . . an end result. This isn’t the way to look at it though. The key is to be clear about what you want, yes. But then the key is to keep a steady, excited energy in the present moment. The better you get at feeling good NOW, regardless of what’s showing up in your life—the more a magnet you become for your desires.
5. Not enough clear steps and guidance on the “how-to” part of it.Clear, consistent “how-to” steps in regards to manifesting are left out of many of the teachings—or it’s confusing. Simply telling someone to feel good who has been chronically depressed most of their life–won’t help. You need clear guidance and steps and the how-to when you’re dealing with deeply ingrained habits of thinking and feeling.
These 5 misconceptions can get in the way of us learning to create what we want in life with manifesting .
And sometimes by simply understanding the flaws in something—you can gain more clarity about the strengths.
But one thing I want to make SUPER clear is that these “flaws” are really flaws in how we are perceiving manifesting. It’s not that there are flaws in manifesting—there are flaws in how we are relating to and interpreting it.
When you get to the point with manifesting where things just seem to effortlessly fall into place—it really is like living in a magical world. But as with most great things in life—there’s a learning curve.
It requires a bit of work and persistence.
But after awhile, it gets easier.
It becomes more habitual.
And you trade those feelings, thoughts and beliefs that worked against getting what you want—with the new improved versions.
The versions that support your well-being and happiness.
And that’s worth the work, in my opinion!
Ever want something that ended up being a VERY bad idea in the long run?
I have. Juuuuust a couple of times (wink, wink).
There was a time when I thought lots of vodka was a good idea. Dancing for dollars seemed perfectly fine at one point in my life (why not? I mean at age 22 that meant—$$$$, minimal clothing + vodka). Driving fast was a passion of mine. Then of course, there were those relationships that were destined to fail from the get-go.
And in hindsight—not such wildly great ideas.
Yes, yes, yes—I get that our mistakes can be great teachers. And that sometimes our greatest life lessons come out of our struggles. But can you relate to wanting less struggles and more victories?
No one needs more struggles. Not-a-one-of-us.
The art of knowing what you want and desire is a critical piece of the happiness puzzle (and success, health, wealth puzzle as well).
And sadly—many of us may think we know what we want, when we really aren’t clear (or are hugely misguided about wanting things that are NOT GOOD for us). In addition, most of us simply aren’t taught how to find out what truly lights us up and makes us happy to jump out of bed in the morning.
So how do we get there? How the heck do we really know what we want and if it’s good for us?
Knowing what you want requires awareness, commitment and self-exploration (brace yourself . . . . here comes the self-helpy part!)
It requires you ask a few critical questions—
- Do you currently feel happy with your life? And not just a superficial happiness, but a real, true inner happiness. It’s a feeling and sense of being connected to something that really lights you up and makes you feel alive.
- If you were on your death bed would you have regrets?(I know, it’s a bit dreary, but it is also one of the most efficient ways to get an honest answer.) Things you wished you would have done more of? Less of? The best way to discover if you are living a life in alignment with what you want—is to think of how you might feel if you knew your days were numbered.
- What are you tolerating in your life? In other words, what things are you doing that you really don’t want to do. What feels more like a “have to” rather than a want to? Sure someone has to scrub the toilet and take out the trash, but I am talking about bigger life things—our careers, our relationships, the overall state of our well-being. What are you tolerating that really is energetically holding you back from being an energetic match to what you want? If you are tolerating many things, you are NOT in an energy of allowing.
Asking these few questions, can get you a bit more on track to really knowing what you want in your life. These are the first steps.
And to stay true to you desires, you must stay accountable to them.
Try the following to stay dialed into your desires and to stay true to them.
- Create a yearly, month and weekly calendar which addressees your desires. What do you want to accomplish, what do you want to acquire, how do you want to feel? Be specific, or just have a general them for the month or year. Create something that works for you! For example, I have a theme for the year and I create a theme for each month. I also start each day with a ” today I choose________” statement. That way I am setting the tone for the day. I am making a choice to feel, happy, content, joyful, content, etc….
- Aside from the practical “to-do” items, a critical piece to getting clear about your desires is quiet time to reflect. You can get a crystal clear vision of your desires when your life feels frantic, chaotic, loud and busy. Take time to walk, quiet the mind, mediate for 10 minutes a day and get out in nature. Do those things that help you slow down, get clear and centered. From this grounded place, your true, healthy desires will shine through.
- Stay accountable. No one is going to do this for you. Your choices= your life. Choose to do the same things you have always done and nothing will change. Choose to step out of your comfy zone, make minor changes and reap huge rewards in the long run.
The art of knowing what you want is another layer of awareness. It’s a practice in slowing down, getting quiet and really listening to what your soul wants.
Knowing what you want is power. It’s the launching pad to increased intuition, a miracle mindset and elevated manifesting abilities (and this is when it gets super fun!)
And trust, me—it’s just way better than a life of chaos + bad choices.