I asked this question on my Facebook page a few days ago and many people joined in. The most common answers were family, friends and life experiences.
Not surprising, really.
Even though we live in a culture of excess, when it comes right down to it, what we really value most are those things that give us a sense of connection, pleasure and meaning.
What we value tends to be interchangeable with what we are passionate about, what drives us and lights our fire.
It’s not always about the cars, the clothes, and the material things, although that is what our society largely pushes and praises. Yes, those things can provide us with enjoyment and there is a certain value in having nice things, but they aren’t on the top of the list when it comes to what we value the most.
It’s not to say there is anything wrong with valuing money. Prosperity and abundance are things I value, because I know that money can have a huge impact on my health, my time, and experiences I have with my family.
What you value is really a very clear indication of not only who you are, but what’s important to focus on in order to be truly fulfilled. If you value spending time in nature, but aren’t doing it, you will feel off and disconnected. If you value spending time with your kids and aren’t doing it, you will feel like something is missing.
Life gives us clues, both large and small, when we are out of sync with what we love—what we value. Boredom, depression, illness, relationship issues, recurring problems are just a few of the clues that might come our way when we get off track with our values.
Paying attention to what you value in life is critical to living a meaningful life. Creating a life you love, is really all about learning to make the right choices. And making the right choices is how we can start the process of manifesting or getting what we want in life by being masters of our thoughts and feelings. The right choice(s) being those things that get you closer to having what you value in your life.
Here a few quick tips on how to get clear about your values and how you can use that awareness to manifest whatever you desire in your life—better health, prosperity, happiness, or more time with family and friends.
- Make a list of the top 5 things you value the most
- Now be really real with yourself—how much are you paying attention to these things? How much time and energy do you spend nurturing these values?
- If you feel like you aren’t putting enough time into some of your values, make a list of things you can do to change that. What choices can you make today, to bring more of those things you value into your life?
- If there are things that you value on your list that you do feel you pay attention to and you don’t feel out of balance with, then celebrate that! Give yourself credit. I know it may seem dorky, but when you can get into a place of appreciation and gratitude for what you HAVE created, then that just sends the signal to the universe for more of that. Appreciation in any area of our life sets the stage for abundance to flow in all directions. The better you feel, the more good stuff you will attract into your experience.
And most of all, have fun and enjoy. We don’t get into a space of ninja manifesting by stressing, beating ourselves up or being overly rigid about things.
Love yourself more.
I was recently interviewed by Julie with Live Vibrantly Today. I LOVED chatting with her and wasn’t the least bit nervous. I felt completely relaxed and really in the moment.
But I noticed things that I was doing during the interview, that I will definitely do differently next time. One thing I noticed was that I blinked too often and I licked my lips too much! Yikes!
So, why am I posting this video of my rapid eye blinking and lip licking??? Because it’s ok!
It’s ok to mess up, to make mistakes and look silly when we are putting ourselves out there and stepping into new things.
Five year ago, I would have NEVER posted this video and I would have picked myself apart to no end. What I got out of this experience was amazing on so many levels. I truly loved connecting with Julie, speaking my truth and talking about something very dear to my heart . . . manifesting and conscious choices.
I guess I just got so wrapped up in the moment that licking my lips and blinking were a side effect of my excitement!!
And here’s the deal—just do what you love. Don’t worry about being perfect and definitely don’t worry about what other people will think. This is YOUR life. Do what you want, dream your dreams, be goofy, make mistakes and just stay weird.
Or stay normal . . . whatever floats your boat. Because at the end ot the day, it won’t be so much about what others thought about you, it will be how you feel about you.
Do what makes you feel good. Do what makes your heart sing. Do what will leave you feeling like your life mattered.
Choose you. And from that, you will choose others, choose connection, choose community, choose service, and choose living a life well worth living.
Make weird videos. Learn. Grow. And hey, don’t beat yourself up if it’s not perfect. Who cares?
Laugh and move on.
Enjoy and share this with others please!
Ever feel like there is just not enough to go around? Or that there are already enough people doing what you love, so what’s the point? Or that you just don’t have what it takes?
For me, when I started coaching, consulting and writing—I felt like I was drowning in a sea of amazing coaches, entrepreneurs + online experts.
I was like “ what the heck (stronger adjective) how can I compete with these amazing, established entrepreneurs?”
I should just give up. That’s what I started feeling like.
Can you relate?
Ever think that there just isn’t enough to go around? Like there are too many successful people in your area of expertise, you are too far behind, there aren’t enough client, time, money or resources?
I feel ya! I was there many times and thank goodness, I didn’t give into that pesky little voice of self –sabotage.
Don’t give up.
Guess what? Not feeling good enough is one of the most common feelings—it’s like a plague. And it doesn’t just magically go away when you have money, success + love. I have had numerous conversations with very successful entrepreneurs and coaches and they all say they still have this “not good enough” feeling creep in on occasion.
When that thought come up, here is what you do:
- Slap yourself! What the heck? You are amazing, aren’t you? Then stop it! Stop beating yourself up (ok, don’t slap yourself)
- Now give yourself a big hug for just recognizing that you feel this way. Seeing it and acknowledging it, is the first step in handling this little monster of self-doubt.
- Sit down and give yourself the gift of uninterrupted quiet space—no computer, e-mail, iPhone, kids, etc. Take 5 for you.
- Now make a list of your accomplishments. I know it seems simple and kind of weird, but do it anyway. Take some time to appreciate all the hings you have accomplished.
- See your strengths. Give yourself a little pat on the back.
- Make a commitment to NOT allowing this voice of self-doubt and “not enough-ness” to run you. Eyes on the prize.
- Make a list of things you can do that make you feel good, expansive and abundant.
- Choose to see all the abundance in the world. That there is enough for everyone and that you have something unique to offer the world. It’s in there.
Choice du jour:
“ I choose to release this voice of self doubt that tells me I am not enough and there is not enough to go around. The world is abundant. I am abundant. I allow all that is to manifest to me now.”
Carrie Jolie Dale
This or something even more brilliant for the highest good of all concerned.