I know some self help books can get sort of (yawn) BORING. But I do have a list of favorites that have helped me personally to achieve greater wealth, health + happiness.
My Top 10—
- Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead by Brene Brown. I love this book because it deals with two things that are very close to home for me—courage and vulnerability. All of Brenes books are amazing, but this one really spoke to me. If you are ready to ditch feeling small and incapable and ready to recognize your true potential—give it a read!
- The Game of Life and How to Play it (Prosperity Classic) by Florence Scovel Shinn. This book is super old school, but well worth a look. The author show you how to increase your results in your life with the power of the spoken word. It’s basically manifesting 101 using the power of words. There is a strong Christian slant to it, but I consider myself to be more spiritual than religious and I still go back to this book again and again.
- Fire Starter Sessions by Danielle LaPorte. What’s not to love about Danielle? I also love her most recent book The Desire Map, but Fire Starter Sessions in my favorite! This book got me totally fired up and ready to create.
- Carry on Warrior: The Power of Embracing Your Messy, Beautiful Life by Glennon Doyle Melton. This is part self-help and part memoir. Glennon’s book was one of those that I couldn’t put down—from start to finish. I could relate so much to her (funny and frightening) stories about addiction and downward spiral. The book is really worth the read if you’ve ever struggled with self worth issues, addiction or shame/guilt in your life. She also has an incredible online community called Momastery.
- 7 Habits of Highly Successful People by Stephen Covey I love this book because it has a lot to do with my topic of CHOICE! I think I first scanned this book on my dads book shelf way back when. It’s old school and highly worth the read. This book consistently makes it on many “best books” lists.
- The Science of Getting Rich by Wallace T. Wattles This book is somewhat of a cult classic and is along the vein of Think and Grow Rich and The Richest Man in Babylon (also great reads . . .) This book gets into the psychology and mindset of creating abundance. If I notice myself slipping into old patterns, I pick this one up again and get back on track.
- The Law Of Attraction: The Basics of the Teachings of Abraham by Esther and Jerry Hicks. I first learned about manifesting and law of attraction through the Abraham-Hicks material and it has changed my life. They were really the pioneers of LOA and manifesting (even though The Secret would claim otherwise). All their book are great and truly helpful if you believe in LOA and manifesting (try it, it just may change your life!)
- Boundaries: When To Say Yes, How to Say No by Henry Cloud. I added this book to my kindle awhile ago and forgot about it (hmmm, interesting how sometimes we block out the things that would be the most helpful) This book is CRITICAL for anyone who struggles with healthy boundaries.
- Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert. What’s not to love about Elizabeth Gilbert? Her book, Eat, Pray, Love was such an inspiration and Big Magic is another great read by this author. I had a chance to see her recently on her book tour for Big Magic and I love her take on living a creative life.
- The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle. This is just a must. When you can get to the place when you are operating your life from the “right here, right now” place—you win.
I have about 50 more I could add to this list, but I chose these as my top 10 because I feel each one of them has had a significant impact on at least one area of my life. The key with any sort of self help or personal development tools—is to make the choice to actually USE them.
They can’t work if we don’t work them.
What are some of your top self-help or non-fiction books? I would love to know!
How we stand out in our communities, our careers and even our families . . . . doesn’t have to be obnoxious to matter.
Sometimes, we may think that in order to stand out, we have to be different or to force ourselves to act in a manner that isn’t truly who we are. And when I say “stand out” I don’t mean the kind of stand out that people get from being obnoxious , rude or pushy.
I am talking about that authentic charisma that is a result of finding, honing and standing in your 100% authentic, raw, real truth.
The NO BS truth.
3 ways to stand out WITHOUT being obnoxious, rude or pushy—
1. Be real. Yep—you are enough, you matter, you have a special something, something that no other human has. Just be you!
2. Know thyself. How can you be real if you don’t know who you are? Honestly, this is the first step. You gotta spend time being with you, understanding you, knowing what you love/don’t love, desire/don’t desire. You need to spend time honing in on exactly what it is that makes you tick, tock and transcend.
3. Be courageous, take chances, be a big weird-o. You can’t be “in your zone” and move onto your next level of growth and awareness when you are stuck in the same comfort zone. Standing out may require you move through some fears, take some chances and put yourself out there (and yes, you may get rejected! It’s ok, remember #1—your are enough)
Our lives have become over busy, right? And what we need to do, is calm down, get clear about what we desire and then we need to choose that—daily. Daily choosing what we love and then rinse, repeat and revisit.
If you want love, choose to love and be as much about love as you can be.
If you want a bigger e-mail list or to sell more books—then how about just being super real and connecting from that place that is really you. Do it because it radiates YOU so deeply that people can’t say no.
Do it from the inner depths of your sweet little soul.
Dig deep, breath into the essence of you really are–you light filled super human you—and then let that shine through in your work, your love, your interaction with the check out clerk, the way you talk to your kids, the energy you infuse into you food, your home, etc…..
YOU GET TO CHOOSE HOW YOUR LIFE LOOKS AND HOW YOUR LIFE FEELS. IT’S ALL YOU BABY.
So choose, choose, choose wisely (and courageously, lovingly and with purpose)
What did I discover from sitting on the beach for 9 days?
Mainly, I learned that I like sitting on the beach for 9 days! Who doesn’t, right?
But it certainly didn’t start out that way.
I was checking my phone, fidgeting and generally struggling to relax.
I was also REALLY judging that guy with the selfie pole. Who created this? Lord help us.
It honestly took me about 3 days to settle into vacation mode and allow my body, mind and spirit unwind a bit.
And it got me thinking . . . I think for most of us, it can be a challenge to settle into vacation mode when we spend most our time in “get it done” mode.
So it’s critical that we learn ways to drop in FASTER, so we can enjoy MORE and stress LESS.
Here is a quickie list for learning to quiet your mind and settle into vacation mode quicker, faster and more efficiently—
- The week before you leave for vacation—plan on getting through your to-do list at least 2 days early. This was you won’t feel rushed to the finish line (departure date)
- Print out all your travel stuff, itineraries, places to eat, etc.. at least 2 days before you go. The goal is to really get all loose ends tied up 2 days before you leave, so the two days before you leave, you can calmly and enjoyably pack and take care of any last minute things that didn’t get done from the to do list.
- Set an intention for you trip. Don’t just wing it. Why are you going? What’s the main pull? Set an intention for smooth travel, enjoyable people sitting next to you on the plane (one can dream). Pre-pave your vacation as being super relaxing even before you arrive.
- Once you arrive at your destination, unplug. You will survive if you don’t check Facebook and Instagram for a week. You will live. If you can’t totally unplug (oh,come on, just do it) then make a commitment to yourself to only check in once a day. Really, unplug.
- LET IT GO. Have fun, unwind. Be present. Let go of your concerns and fully immerse yourself into where you are at—if it’s the beach, get in the water, try something new, order drinks with cute umbrellas. If you’re in Europe, don’t be a stodgy American—try the food, attempt to learn the language, see the sites, be patient and enjoy the culture. Wherever your travels take you, make a sincere effort to BE PRESENT and enjoy the experience.
The main thing to remember is—what’s the point in taking all the time, spending all the money, if you’re just going to be taking pictures with your selfie pole the entire time, or staring at your phone?
The purpose of getting away—is to get away. It’s to drop into a new experience, do something different and let our minds relax. Because in that, we get inspired. We grow. We make room for the next big thing in our lives.
So go take a trip.
Get to know new people. Try some weird food and learn how to say thank you in a new language.
Get out there an explore. And chill out and be a nice, patient, conscious traveler when you’re doing it.
p.s. In the 2 choices world—you are either doing things that line you up with living an amazing life, or you are choosing things that keep you separate from that. And it ultimately comes down to learning how to manage your thoughts and feelings. To learn more about the 2 choices, check out my book on Amazon. And choose wisely!
Excellence is a habit, just as much as a lack of excellence is a habit.
But what is excellence?
In my world, which is a world based on a strong connection to the divine (God, Source, Spirit, whatever word you choose)—excellence isn’t so much about the stuff you have, the letters after your name, or the tax bracket you are in.
And it is for sure not about being perfect.
It’s about the quality of life you have.
Excellence (in The 2 Choices world)—is about how you feel and how connected and in love with life that you are. It’s also about feeling a sense of inner success—that you’re on track, pointed in the right direction and feeling generally super ON FIRE about your life.
It’s about your evolution, and your overall energetic offering to the world.
Yep–it’s about energy.
And yep—it’s about the CHOICE to do things in a way that get your energy up**, so you can attract more divine gifts (quality food, nice things, luxury, travel, love, health, joy, harmony).
Excellence is a habit. Happiness is a habit. Success and living lives that really feel good—are all habits.
And habits are a choice. And if you’ve been following me for anytime at all—you know I am all about the power of choice.
If we truly desire to change any little or big thing in our life—and create a sense of excellence—we need to choose it.
And then choose it over and over and over again (create a habit out of it).
Yes, Aristotle is spot on—excellence is a habit. And I may add to that—
Excellence is a choice.
The following list is what I personally follow on a day to day basis that has turned my life around—180 degrees.
And I say this with a sense of humility, grace and gratitude.
There is no chest pounding here.
It’s an honest soul share—from me to you.
I was broke and broken. I was confused, sad and angry. I felt lost and bored with my life.
And then I found a way out. That way out (and through) has gifted me with—world travel, incredible personal and professional relationships, peak health, financial abundance, real joy, and a deep sense of gratitude. .
I want everyone to feel this way.
The list . . . 11 Daily Habits to Create Excellence
Creating your own unique personal excellence routine is one of the most amazing forms of self love and self care that you can gift to yourself. I fully encourage you to use the one I created, or come up with your own!
Just as we get into habits that don’t support our dreams and desires and life—we can create new habits that do support what we want. And in the end—it is a choice.
If anything, remember that each day, how you live your life—is a gift and a choice.
I sincerely hope you choose to love the heck out of each day.
p.s. I will be in Paris, Provence and Rome this May-June, scouting for retreat locations, book business + to follow through with a spiritual calling that has been growing stronger and stronger (it has to do with Mary Magdalene). Excited to share this next evolution with you all.
**up also meaning aligned, pure and free of mixed vibrations or energy frequencies.
Brevity . . . my FAVORITE.
If you’re reading “me” for the first time, I write about spiritual stuff, the power of choice + living lives that seriously curl your toes, put a zip in your step and make you tingle all over.
Great, big, tingles.
But what about when shit goes down that doesn’t feel so tingly? When things aren’t lining up for you? When the sparkle has left the romance, the deals aren’t going through, the happiness isn’t happening and those pounds aren’t staying off?
What about when you feel let down as **** and you cant seem to dig your way out of that hole?
Try these 6 things (but actually DO THEM, don’t just read them) Action Jackson.
- Get a pen or pencil. Get some paper. YELL AND SCREAM on paper (if this feels cathartic, of course). Write down what’s got your panties in a bunch. Write it down. Scribble it if need be. Just get it out, down on paper. Say whatever you want. Anything goes here.
- Discard it. Find a way to safely purge what you just wrote down. Burn it (only if you can do it safely) shred it, dispose of it safely. And if there is no way to safely dispose of it and you don’t feel comfortable writing these things down, at least find a way to release those feelings in a safe way. Maybe go out in nature, where you can be alone and just say it to the universe. Get it out. Purge it, then discard it.
- Get grounded. Epsom salt baths, nature walks, funny movies, comfort food (unless this triggers body issues) hugs, snuggles, hanging with people/pets you love.
- Smile. Force it a bit. I know, I know, who likes to force things? No one. But in this case, when you are feeling let down as all **** you gotta just practice smiling more It’s amazing what happens energetically when you just make an effort to smile more. People smile back and the world just becomes brighter.
- Remember happy. Take a few minutes every hour on the hour (or just as much as you can) to remember a time when you felt happy, or at least pretty gosh darn good. Sink into those memories as if they were right here, right now. Access those happy feelings. Access + feel them.
- Choose happy. Choose love. Choose healthy. Choose abundant. Even though life can throw some humdingers our way—it doesn’t mean we don’t get to choose what it looks like. You may have horrible days, weeks, months and years, but what you do have, that is the most massive gift + power—is the ability to CHOOOSE how you feel and what you think. When you realize and embrace this, you get to choose whatever it is you want in life. It’s one thing to remember what it feels like to be happy, but an entire new level of commitment when you DAILY choose it (or health, wealth, love, joy, spiritual connection, miracles).
The gift and power we have in what we choose to think and feel is the biggie here. It doesn’t matter what’s happened to you—what cant EVER be taken away is your choice to FEEL and THINK how and what you want to think and feel. If you can get to this point—as the saying goes—the world is your oyster.
How you feel is an energy. What you think is an energy. When you learn to use this in a conscious, constructive way—you also learn how to be a co-creator in your life. Instead of feeling like its all happening TO you, it switches on a dime to a real sense of being able to create and manifest what you desire in your life.
And that, my most beautiful and dear soul-sister + brother is worthy of full body tingles.
It’s the super feel good stuff, when you start playing life on this level. It’s fun. It’s connecting. It’s pure light and love.
p.s. And buy my book if you’d like! It’s a glimpse about how to turn any mess into a miracle—just like I did. Get it here.