There is so much going on and the word “busy” has become the new anthem or badge of honor in our society. How many times do you hear from people how busy they are? More often than not, I am guessing.
We are all so busy. Busy, busy, busy. It’s almost like a sickness or something.
I mean I get the reality, that we all are truly busy! We have kids, jobs, to-do’s etc.… Trust me, I get it.
The busy I am referring to, is like we go on autopilot and shut off. It’s that busy that feels disconnected, rushed and without a sense of meaning. It’s like we bounce from thing to thing and don’t really get anywhere.
Sometimes it feels to me, like if we aren’t busy, or don’t feel busy, then it’s almost like we don’t feel useful or productive. What will people think of me if I am not busy? If I don’t have a big to-do list? If I have idle time? OMG, idle time? But isn’t that lazy, unproductive and useless?
No, not at all.
I am here to tell you that the EXACT thing you must do, if you want sanity, clarity, health, joy and increased personal success in your life—is to choose to take quality down time in your life.
Here are a few guidelines to consider when choosing your down time.
- Commit to at least one hour of down time a day.
- Eliminate distractions! During this time, shut off your phone, don’t be on the computer and make this YOUR TIME.
- Create a sacred ritual for your down time. Walk in nature, have a connecting talk with someone, meditate, do a yoga class . . anything that gets you feeling relaxed and more connected to you. This is not a time to cross something off your list. This is time for you to make a commitment to stop being busy and start being present in your life.
- Consistency. If this is just another thing you read and don’t actually implement, then there is no point. If you truly want to feel better, be healthier, wealthier and happier, then it’s critical to get off the busy-mobile and on the feel good bus. Feeling good raises your vibration and attracts more good things into your life. It’s universal law.
- Honor yourself. You are worth one hour a day! And if one hour is too big of a stretch, then start with 30 minutes. The point is to get in the habit of slowing down and being centered. The point is to be able to get quiet and still enough to hear yourself through all the self imposed “noise” that we create in our lives through being busy.
Learning to stop the habitual choice to be busy, is a critical step in really learning to master your life and your choices. Once you make a commitment to slowing down and savoring your down time, you will start to notice something. You will start to feel again. You will start to have ideas and more energy. You will get clarity about problems. You will feel a sense of freedom and lightness. You will attract more wanted things in your life.
If you want to live a truly satisfying life–one with peak health, success, love and happiness—you will need to make it a point to slow down, enjoy and go within on a consistent basis. This always works for me and it when I forget to take this down time, I get a very quick reminder. Things start to feel out of sync when I forget to commit to choosing me.
We are meant to enjoy—not spend it being asleep in a state of busy-ness. So take time for you slow down and savor your life.
I am gonna go chill out..