—Neale Donald Walsch
Just because we “get” something intellectually doesn’t mean we truly believe it or think it’s possible for us.
And even if we get it intellectually, AND believe it—sometimes we forget to practice it or implement into our lives.
Can you relate?
I was reminded of this very glaringly this weekend when I returned from a life changing trip to San Diego.
This trip was a reunion with some very powerful women. Women who are movers and shakers in their careers, families, communities and spiritual lives.
We laughed, cried, journaled, set powerful intentions and generally fit about 2 years of deep personal work in 4 days.
In a nutshell—we moved some mountains.
But I didn’t realize how truly transformational it was until I got home and started seeing the power of intention already working miracles in my life.
And not just my life—but those closest to me as well.
I won’t get into the nitty- gritty of the miracles that unfolded, but suffice to say that it was a massive, miraculous shift : )
The powerful intentions I set while in San Diego had already begun shifting things in a matter of days.
So what the heck is an intention and how can you get moving on it so YOU can move a few mountains yourself (or at the very least create change)?
A standard, text book definition of an intention is this—
- A thing intended; an aim or plan.
But a more fitting definition from a manifesting perspective would be—
- An intention is a desire, dream or goal that you passionately envision creating in your life. It’s something that you may not physically see evidence of right now, but through creating a detailed vision about what you want—you create an energy which open doors to making it real. It’s the process of turning a dream into reality.
For example—it’s creating a “day-dream” or written statment about what your soul mate is like—right down to every last detail. What color is his hair? What clothes is he wearing when you first meet him? Color of his eyes? The tone of his voice. The way you feel when he looks at you.
It can be a written story or internal vision you create about all the wealth you have—even though your checking account says otherwise.
It’s confidence in knowing what you want is on it’s way—even though you may not see evidence of it.
But how do you get yourself to feel something or envision something so clearly when it feels forced, faked or fabricated?
Here are a few things that you can implement right away that can help you with this—
- First off—change the perspective on it being fake, forced or fabricated. Have fun with it and approach it with a youthful, curious mindset. Do young kids feel bad about daydreaming? Be a kid about it. Dream away.
- See it as a gift—you have creative control in your life and can have a HUGE impact on what happens by choosing to focus on what you want, rather than seeing what you don’t want (advanced manifesting topic which I will cover in an upcoming mini course)
- Place the focus on what it feels like to ALREADY HAVE that thing in your life. Stay with that feeling.
Intentionsetting also has an element of letting go which is critical to getting the results you want.
Many people are actually better at this than they think, but they have unconscious, self sabotaging energy and beliefs that chase away the dream that showed up for them (more on this in the next broadcast : )
Intention setting—when done right—is another powerful tool in your arsenal for living a good life.
And who doesn’t want to have a life where you actually get to live your dreams, rather than just dreaming them?
It’s even better than moving mountains.
Your turn now. What’s your relationship with intention setting? Is it something you’re doing? A little, a lot, not at all? I’d love to know.
I know some self help books can get sort of (yawn) BORING. But I do have a list of favorites that have helped me personally to achieve greater wealth, health + happiness.
My Top 10—
- Daring Greatly: How the Courage to Be Vulnerable Transforms the Way We Live, Love, Parent, and Lead by Brene Brown. I love this book because it deals with two things that are very close to home for me—courage and vulnerability. All of Brenes books are amazing, but this one really spoke to me. If you are ready to ditch feeling small and incapable and ready to recognize your true potential—give it a read!
- The Game of Life and How to Play it (Prosperity Classic) by Florence Scovel Shinn. This book is super old school, but well worth a look. The author show you how to increase your results in your life with the power of the spoken word. It’s basically manifesting 101 using the power of words. There is a strong Christian slant to it, but I consider myself to be more spiritual than religious and I still go back to this book again and again.
- Fire Starter Sessions by Danielle LaPorte. What’s not to love about Danielle? I also love her most recent book The Desire Map, but Fire Starter Sessions in my favorite! This book got me totally fired up and ready to create.
- Carry on Warrior: The Power of Embracing Your Messy, Beautiful Life by Glennon Doyle Melton. This is part self-help and part memoir. Glennon’s book was one of those that I couldn’t put down—from start to finish. I could relate so much to her (funny and frightening) stories about addiction and downward spiral. The book is really worth the read if you’ve ever struggled with self worth issues, addiction or shame/guilt in your life. She also has an incredible online community called Momastery.
- 7 Habits of Highly Successful People by Stephen Covey I love this book because it has a lot to do with my topic of CHOICE! I think I first scanned this book on my dads book shelf way back when. It’s old school and highly worth the read. This book consistently makes it on many “best books” lists.
- The Science of Getting Rich by Wallace T. Wattles This book is somewhat of a cult classic and is along the vein of Think and Grow Rich and The Richest Man in Babylon (also great reads . . .) This book gets into the psychology and mindset of creating abundance. If I notice myself slipping into old patterns, I pick this one up again and get back on track.
- The Law Of Attraction: The Basics of the Teachings of Abraham by Esther and Jerry Hicks. I first learned about manifesting and law of attraction through the Abraham-Hicks material and it has changed my life. They were really the pioneers of LOA and manifesting (even though The Secret would claim otherwise). All their book are great and truly helpful if you believe in LOA and manifesting (try it, it just may change your life!)
- Boundaries: When To Say Yes, How to Say No by Henry Cloud. I added this book to my kindle awhile ago and forgot about it (hmmm, interesting how sometimes we block out the things that would be the most helpful) This book is CRITICAL for anyone who struggles with healthy boundaries.
- Big Magic by Elizabeth Gilbert. What’s not to love about Elizabeth Gilbert? Her book, Eat, Pray, Love was such an inspiration and Big Magic is another great read by this author. I had a chance to see her recently on her book tour for Big Magic and I love her take on living a creative life.
- The Power of Now by Eckhart Tolle. This is just a must. When you can get to the place when you are operating your life from the “right here, right now” place—you win.
I have about 50 more I could add to this list, but I chose these as my top 10 because I feel each one of them has had a significant impact on at least one area of my life. The key with any sort of self help or personal development tools—is to make the choice to actually USE them.
They can’t work if we don’t work them.
What are some of your top self-help or non-fiction books? I would love to know!
Sometimes getting clear about where we are in life can be a bit like ripping a band off super fast. It may hurt a little, you may make a funny face and afterwords—you’ll realize it wasn’t such a big hairy deal after all.
THE TRUH IS—happiness, health and wealth are choices.
You may think that statement is unrealistic, call me a dreamer, or my favorite—an idealist.
And let’s be clear before you virtually throw a book at me—I am not discounting that people have real problems.
People don’t have money—they grow up poor.
People are born with health issues that were clearly NOT their choice.
And there are people who, no matter how hard they try—can’t find happiness.
I agree—people have problems. I agree—life can be hard.
I agree—we don’t always get to choose what happens to us, the family we are born into, or our genetics.
I get that life can deal us a bad hand.
And what I also know—is that no matter what sort of shit storm life throws your way—you can still choose to be happy.
You can still choose to create wealth.
You can still choose to work towards being healthier, no matter what your genetics.
The point is—you can mold, shape and manifest (if you wanna get all spiritual) a life that feels better to you (or that is closer to your dream life) by simply learning to be way, way, way more choosy about your choices.
Here are some examples (and they work if you actually do them…so do them gosh darnit!)
Instead of feeling_____________ when I am driving and that person doesn’t use their turn signal, I choose to feel___________ (you are working towards putting something a bit more positive and good feeling in the second space)
Rather than thinking______________when my checking account balance is under $50, I will instead choose to think______________(you are aiming to come up with a feeling that is a slight improvement from the first feeling. If you truly feel panicked about not having enough money, you probably won’t force a feeling of total confidence about it. But you can find a thought/feeling that is a bit better than panic)
I could really tell that person to_______________ right now, but I will choose to think, do or say ____________because that is a better energy and I know (in the long run) this will raise my vibration and deliver boatloads of life goodies my way.
My back hurts, I will never lose this weight, my parents were like this, so I am stuck with it. Basically, my health is_________. And I also know that I co-create my reality with thoughts, feelings and actions, so if I truly want to be a health machine, I better change my thoughts, feelings and actions. I will work on feeling more___________about my health and come up with ways to support a healthy lifestyle rather than adding to the negative energy that perpetuates it.
*** so the idea here is to fill in the first blank with the actual thing you may feel in that instance. And the second or third blanks, you are reaching for a better thought or feeling. It does NOT have to be fake or forced, just a slight energetic improvement. And in the end, even if all this hocus-pocus manifesting stuff doesn’t work (I wholeheartedly DON’T believe that, because I am living, breathing proof it does) you will at least learn a method to feel a bit better when the going gets tough.
So fill in the blanks of your life with new, better feelings and thoughts. It really does work, but not if you only think about it here and there and get lazy pants about it.
If you want the change, you gotta change. You have to choose differently.
Rip that bandaid off and get it over with already!
p.s always cheering you on…..always.
This one is gonna be good!
It’s about re-invention.
I LOVE RE-ANYTHING! IT SIGNIFIES A FRESH START. It means we get to re-do, re-claim, re-focus, re-learn, re-love, re-choose + re-member.
Want better health, more wealth, that hunky love partner, or world peace? You get to reinvent what that means for you now.
Dear Souls . . . there is truly no need to EVER freak out or be worried about things. Worry is not a vibration that attracts what you want.
Worrying isn’t high vibration (and plus it feels horrible)
In fact, worry just generally keeps us stuck in cycles that give us more shit to worry about.
So, put on your positivity pants and gear up for another powerful, transformational Mercury Retrograde.
If you don’t know what mercury retrograde—I would love to fill you in.
Mercury Retrograde happens about 3-4 times a year and—in a nutshell—the planet Mercury slows down in its orbit and appears to move backwards.
However, this is an optical illusion (no planets move backwards). According to the smarty pants as NASA (it’s not just us woo-woo types that talk about Mercury Retrogrades) the normal motion of stars and planets in our nights sky—goes from west to east direction. This is called prograde motion.
A retrograde of any planet occurs when it shifts from an east to west direction before turning back to prograde motion.
The planetary dance that happens in this process, is our beloved Mercury Retrograde period.
Mercury Retrograde has become quite the buzzwords and people get all freaked out about their computers breaking down, cars not working, flights being cancelled and basically, all hell breaking loose on earth.
And why do people think this?
From an astrological perspective, Mercury is the planet that rules all forms of communication, travel, clarity and honesty.
So when planet Mercury starts shaking things up out there in the universe (by going into a retrograde), the school of thought is that our earthly matters that are connected to travel, communication and these sorts of things—go a bit helter-skelter.
Whether you believe this to be true, or not—as with anything in life—just being aware and conscious is a good choice.
If it does exist and does genuinely impact things in your life—then approaching these times thoughtfully and with awareness—is a perfect way to flow with it.
Personally, I do notice a big shift in energy during retrogrades and I have used these times for great, positive transformations in my own life.
I get all geeked out about retrogrades because for me, they symbolize a time to go inward, reflect and reinvigorate.
To reiterate . . . there is no need to worry during a retrograde.
Thoughts are things dears. And we choose our thoughts (this is powerful)
Can we prove beyond a shadow of a doubt that Mercury Retrograde does what people says it does? Nope!
But we can be aware. And we can use every moment—whether its a retrograde, or not—to choose to be aware, conscious and in alignment with what we want to do in life and who we want to be.
The most current retrograde happens next week—January 21st through February 11th, 2015. The other two this year are on May 18th—June 11th and September 17th—October 9th.
Mark it on your calendars (or not). And maybe make a note to keep a journal during retrogrades to see what you observe in your own life.
I happen to have 2 trips planned during this retrograde and I am feeling quite jazzed about both of them.
As with anything—it comes down to a choice.
A choice to think a certain way, feel a certain way and act in a certain way—that lines up with what you want in life. Whatever it may be— a reinvention during a powerful retrograde, or better health, more passion and love in your life, or simply more happiness—it’s all about choosing thoughts and feelings that get you closer to those things.
Welcome the retrograde, or ignore it altogether—it’s your choice.
Much love to you this day and every day!
p.s. Try to NOT get caught in the trap of blaming unwanted things on the planets (lovingly). Rather, embrace these times and access your true and birth given power. Use these times for re-inventing what it means to be the you that you want to be.
There is so much going on and the word “busy” has become the new anthem or badge of honor in our society. How many times do you hear from people how busy they are? More often than not, I am guessing.
We are all so busy. Busy, busy, busy. It’s almost like a sickness or something.
I mean I get the reality, that we all are truly busy! We have kids, jobs, to-do’s etc.… Trust me, I get it.
The busy I am referring to, is like we go on autopilot and shut off. It’s that busy that feels disconnected, rushed and without a sense of meaning. It’s like we bounce from thing to thing and don’t really get anywhere.
Sometimes it feels to me, like if we aren’t busy, or don’t feel busy, then it’s almost like we don’t feel useful or productive. What will people think of me if I am not busy? If I don’t have a big to-do list? If I have idle time? OMG, idle time? But isn’t that lazy, unproductive and useless?
No, not at all.
I am here to tell you that the EXACT thing you must do, if you want sanity, clarity, health, joy and increased personal success in your life—is to choose to take quality down time in your life.
Here are a few guidelines to consider when choosing your down time.
- Commit to at least one hour of down time a day.
- Eliminate distractions! During this time, shut off your phone, don’t be on the computer and make this YOUR TIME.
- Create a sacred ritual for your down time. Walk in nature, have a connecting talk with someone, meditate, do a yoga class . . anything that gets you feeling relaxed and more connected to you. This is not a time to cross something off your list. This is time for you to make a commitment to stop being busy and start being present in your life.
- Consistency. If this is just another thing you read and don’t actually implement, then there is no point. If you truly want to feel better, be healthier, wealthier and happier, then it’s critical to get off the busy-mobile and on the feel good bus. Feeling good raises your vibration and attracts more good things into your life. It’s universal law.
- Honor yourself. You are worth one hour a day! And if one hour is too big of a stretch, then start with 30 minutes. The point is to get in the habit of slowing down and being centered. The point is to be able to get quiet and still enough to hear yourself through all the self imposed “noise” that we create in our lives through being busy.
Learning to stop the habitual choice to be busy, is a critical step in really learning to master your life and your choices. Once you make a commitment to slowing down and savoring your down time, you will start to notice something. You will start to feel again. You will start to have ideas and more energy. You will get clarity about problems. You will feel a sense of freedom and lightness. You will attract more wanted things in your life.
If you want to live a truly satisfying life–one with peak health, success, love and happiness—you will need to make it a point to slow down, enjoy and go within on a consistent basis. This always works for me and it when I forget to take this down time, I get a very quick reminder. Things start to feel out of sync when I forget to commit to choosing me.
We are meant to enjoy—not spend it being asleep in a state of busy-ness. So take time for you slow down and savor your life.
I am gonna go chill out..